According to Intuit, Error Code -6190, -82: “QuickBooks was unable to open the file [pathfilename] on the host” is an error that can occur when running QuickBooks in multi-user mode on Windows Server. It’s caused because the company file (a file with an extension of .qbw) doesn’t match the transaction log (a file with an extension of .tlg). If a company file without the matching transaction log file was updated on another computer and copied back to the server, the two files wouldn’t match.
The simple fix is to locate the mismatched transaction log file (.tlg) and delete it. QuickBooks will automatically re-create it on startup.
It’s a good idea to know the folder in which your QuickBooks company file and associated transaction log file are located. Once you’ve resolved this error and can successfully launch QuickBooks, you can confirm the File Information for that company by pressing F2 while QuickBooks is running. Doing so will display the Product Information window. The Location field shows the path to that company file.
QuickBooks Error -6190, -82 is one of the most common error codes found. It simply means that another user is logged in to the company files on the host computer in single user mode. It can be also because of mismatch between the transaction log file (.tlg) and the company file (.qbw). This article provides a detailed analysis to understand the causes and effects of the error and how to resolve it.
What are the causes of QuickBooks Error -6190, -82?
QB Error -6190, -82 can occur due to several reasons. Some of them include:
- The transaction files not matching with the log file. A transaction log is the summary of transactions which is done by the company and is automatically saved by QuickBooks as [company file name].qbw.tlg This cannot be opened to convert the file into a company data file (qbw). Now when the company data file (QBW) does not match with its linked ‘TLG’ file, QuickBooks shows QuickBooks Error -6190, -82.
- An update failure could be a reason as well. This happens when a company file is updated on a different computer without updating its transaction file.
- One of the other causes would be when another user is logged in to the company file in Single User mode.
- A cause which is less likely to occur, is data corruption or data damage in the QuickBooks data file, hence showing the error code.
Quickbooks USA Toll Free Number
What are the effects of QuickBooks Error -6190, -82?
- The organization file is corrupted due to the mismatch as mentioned above. User loses all important files that are saved within company data (QBW) file.
- This prevents the access of the user to the file since it may have been opened by another user already.
How to resolve QuickBooks Error -6190, -82?
There are various methods which can resolve this issue. It is recommended to check after each method as each individual method is likely to resolve this issue.
Method 1 (Fix the mismatch):
- Locate the company filein the company folder.
- The transaction log file and the company file will be having the same name but different extensions. For example, the company file will be named as [company file name].qbw.nd and the transaction log file will be named as [company file name].qbw.tlg.
- Right-click on the company file and then select ‘Rename’ option. Enter any new name on it. Ensure that the extension “.qbw.nd” is not omitted.
- Similarly, right-click on the transaction file and then select ‘Rename’ option. Choose a new name and ensure that the extension is not omitted here as well.
- Exit the system and open QuickBooks to log in to the company file.
Method 2 (Single Mode User Check):
- Ensure that no users are logged in to the QuickBooks Data file.
- Restart the computer.
- Copy the data file to another location except for its source.
- Copy the data file back again to its original location.
- Sign in to QuickBooks.
If the issue still persists, there is always an alternative. Errors can be resolved better when some expert and professional could walk us through the steps. The reliable QuickBooks Technical support can be reached out here at +1(855)548 3394 who is available for help 24 hours a day.
Call Quickbooks Toll Free Number